Tech Fest – A Family Engineering & Technology STEM Fair
Saturday, February 24, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Pre-registered admission is $9, available through 2/23. Admission is $12 at door. Free for members.
Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Get ready to dive into the world of technology and engineering at Tech Fest – our biggest event of the year! With dozens of hands-on activities led by scientists, engineers, and educators, this special family STEM day is a perfect opportunity to explore together.
If you love The Works Museum, you know we’re always about the “E” in STEM – engineering! At Tech Fest, we bring together all the areas of STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) with activities and demos designed just for families. Visit with our partner organizations representing business and academia to learn about the many ways STEM impacts the world around us. With building, making, chemistry, the physics of launching rockets, exploring technology used to save lives and keep us healthy, and more, Tech Fest is a perfect family outing for a wintry day.
Here are just a few of the amazing partners and activities you’ll experience at this special family day:
- Explore medical technology with Abbott
- Use virtual reality to explore the human body with Boston Scientific
- Make your own bath fizzies and explore Artbots with the Society of Women Engineers
- Learn about renewable energy and build LEGO structures with EVS Engineering
- Use microscopes and pipettes with Cargill
- Build bridges with the U of M Center for Transportation Studies
- Test magnets with different materials and other magnets to learn about their amazing properties with 3M
- Discover how blood cells and blood pressure work with Smiths Medical
- Become an “Energy Stick” with Burns & McDonnell as you explore electricity
- Create and race crazy carts with Shipt
- Try augmented reality headsets with Digital River
- Explore chemistry with U of M chemistry students and make your own color-changing bracelet to take home
- Design and launch paper rockets with students form Normandale Community College
- Dig into Tech Take Apart with tools and electronics
Ready to plan your day? Here are a few tips from experienced Tech Fest families:
- Come early. Tech Fest starts at 9 a.m. (before our normal open hours). This is a great time to have fast access to presenters. Plus, the first 500 children receive a drawstring bag to collect their projects and take home!
- Bring cash or a check if you plan to lunch at Tech Fest. Papa John’s Pizza will sell pizza over lunch (and donate 20% of proceeds back to The Works Museum). This is a great opportunity to take an onsite lunch break, but they don’t take credit cards. Or pack your own lunch or snacks to eat in our lunch room.
- Save money by purchasing your admission in advance ($9 per person over age 2) or consider a family membership. Members receive free admission to Tech Fest and a membership pays for itself in just 2 visits for a family of 4.
- Consider bringing your teen too. While The Works Museum focuses on programs for kids ages 5-12, Tech Fest is great for anyone ages 4 and up (including our adult guests!)
- Go at your own pace. All activities are open for the whole event, but you don’t have to do them all. See what inspires your young engineer and stay as long as you like at those activities.